Cutting Machine Appliqué and English Paper Piecing: A two-day workshop
November 11 and 12, 2023
Austin Sewing Machines and Quilting
1601 S I-35 Frontage Rd #300, Round Rock, TX 78664
9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Instructor: Meghan Gerety - AAQG Member
Registration opens August 13. For non-members September 27.
Have you got a domestic cutting machine but haven't really put it to use for quilting?
Even if you're not a power tools gal - this applique method may change how you approach applique and EPP!
I love applique, but my arthritic thumbs don't like needle turn applique. I tried fusing (too stiff and I like turned edges). I tried the freezer paper and starch method, but all that cutting is so tedious. I tried prepared edge using glue and an applique foundation but all that cutting still bothers my wrists.
Using the electronic cutting machine and free motion stitching, all of my applique is now by machine. My thumbs and wrists thank me!Let's make that cutting machine (Cricut, Silhouette, Brother ScanNCut or other) work for you!
If you don't have a cutting machine and are thinking of buying one, you can still participate. Both a Cricut and Brother ScanNCut will be available during the class for use. Or, if you have a friend who is attending - Share the machine!
Cut your pieces for applique, piecing, and English Paper Piecing in a fraction of the time. At the end of the workshop, you will have all the pieces you need to create a small masterpiece.
Work on an appliqué project or an English Paper Piecing project.
You will learn to:
- Download applique shapes for your cutting machine.
- Understand how to create shapes for your machine.
- Cut fabric and templates (freezer paper, soluble stabilizer, cardboard or your favorite template material) for use in appliqué.
- Cut fabric with seam allowance for turned edge applique, raw edge applique, or English paper piecing.
- Cut your own English paper piecing templates.
- Cut pieces for curved and straight piecing
If you bring a flash/thumb drive, you will receive:
- Cutting (*.svg) files for two hexagonal blocks. With her permission, we will use two blocks from Becky Goldsmith’s (Piece O’Cake) pattern Hexie Garden©. I will supply the cutting files (*.svg files) for two of the blocks.
- If you have purchased the Hexie Garden pattern and bring it with you, I will provide all the cutting files for all the blocks. Click to purchase from Piece O'Cake or from Amazon
- Cutting files (*.svg) for common English paper piecing shapes: hexagons, part hexagons, rosettes, diamonds, and triangles. Copyright free.
- Bonus: you will receive *.svg files for a variety of floral and leaf shapes. These are my own drawings and have no copyright. You must bring a thumb drive to receive these files.
Supply List: Gerety Supply List
Handout: Workshop Handout
Cricut materials Settings: Cricut Materials Settings
Cricut Cutting Mat Usage: Materials and Mats
Keyboard Shortcuts for Cricut/Brother: Cricut Keyboard, Brother Keyboard